- Golda Meir
So, I have been ill for the last 2 days. I have had to spend 2 days in bed and feel incredibly guilty about it. This is just generally because I hate to let myself rest when I have other things that could be done, like for one example my 2 essays due in 2 weeks.
However, after some loving encouragement from friends, family and my counsellor it turns out that resting your bones is fine. Why is it fine? Well because if you don't allow yourself to rest when your body needs to you will generally end up running yourself more into the ground along with producing below par work and spreading your illness around (if it's catchable that is).
I used to think working when you're ill comes from a "good work ethic" but I actually think it comes from a bad work ethic - I mean when you're ill and you literally break a sweat hanging the washing up you are too ill to produce anything worthwhile. And anyway, who said we have to work all the hours that god sends? A good rest makes good sense!
Now, I am not a doctor nor a life coach but I think the suggestions below are great for helping oneself to let go and relax when ill (on a short term basis).
- Just think "what is, is". By stressing out and not allowing yourself to be ill you cause your body the extra stress from being stressed and ill. If you allow yourself to be ill and relax for the whole day then you will get better quickly.
- Try to look after yourself whilst you are ill - run a bath, use a comforting moisturiser, put on lovely clean pyjamas and try to spend time away from your emails or brain draining activities.
- Be kind to yourself. Remind yourself that you are important and therefore noticing that you are ill and taking care of yourself should come first.
- If you can ask those around you to help with little things - like picking up some orange juice for you on their way home or prepping dinner for that night, then do.
- Try other relaxing activities like listening to relaxing music, doing a meditation, cooking yourself a simple healthy meal or by trying restorative yoga.
- Or just try and watch a film you've always wanted to watch and never got round to!
- If you are vitamin crazy like me, get your groove on and treat your body to some revitalising supplements.
Before you know it, you'll feel physically and emotionally better in much less time than it takes when you don't rest up...lemon, ginger and honey tea anyone? xxx