Thursday, 23 June 2011

Back in Time


This is a photo of me and Esther on the first night we arrived in Gamboa (my 3rd night in Panama).

There isn't exactly a funny story behind this exact photo, but, when we (Callum, Esther and I) all arrived in Gamboa after a 40 minute bus journey from Panama City bus terminal. Address in hand, heavy backpacks on and shopping bags with dinner, after calling the landlord and getting directions, we started to walk up the hill towards the road where the flat I was renting was meant to be (in a very confusing small 30's built town, that reminded me of Eerie Indiana after closer inspection - when this photos was taken.)

Anyway, getting to the front of the beautiful canal style houses, all painted in pink, green and blue pastel colors, I certainly, and I think the others started to feel a bit uneasy. The house we where approaching looked although no one had lived in it for at least, say 20 years. Dropping our bags at the stairs, we climbed them to find rotting floorboards, cracked paint, crumbling wood and no sort of bed or cooker; needless to say I was feeling panicky by now and I think Callum asked me if I had already paid for the 3 week rental. Luckily I hadn't.

We decided to call the landlord Ian for a second time to get some clarification. Ian answered the phone and advised us that we must be at the wrong place (even though this clearly was the address we had been given), and maybe we could start again from the entrance to the town, to which I politely advised him, we where on foot with very heavy bags and did not have a car to drive back. At this point a small van of the local hotel drove past us and we decided to ask for some help, Ian spoke to the driver and we paid $5 to get to the house, which was, surprise, surprise just where we had got off the bus in the first place!

In retrospect, I don't think I should have asked Ian for directions 2 weeks later when I went on a expedition, but I did, and I got lost!

No comments: