Sunday, 21 August 2011

Now

Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves.
--Rainer Maria Rilke


We carry problems and discrepancies within us, quandaries that are not easily answered - and we have bigger questions about life and the world. Why did I act as I did in my younger years? Can my life partnership be happy again? How should I handle a secret that I carry? What is this thing we call Higher Power and God?

We are on a journey and, in some ways, this journey is a quest for answers. The questions give energy and direction to our seeking. We cannot expect to get quick or easy answers. And some questions will always remain just that: questions. But we can learn to be patient with ourselves, tolerant of our incompleteness, and always curious about how it will all turn out.

Today I will practice patience with myself and embrace my unsolved questions as crucial elements in my quest.

From Wisdom to Know by Anon. (unfortunately no link at the moment as the website is down for maintenance!)

-----------------

For me personally patience is a hard road, with myself and others, for thoughts, questions, crap that runs through my mind!  I have been trying to practice staying "in the moment" and have found The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle very helpful.  The essence of staying in the moment is to not be dwelling on what went on in the past and what will go on in the future by running over eveything in your mind, but by being able to have a calm mind that has slowed down and is able to enjoy the actual surroundings and people you are with.  This is turn helps me with patience and to be less anxious as I do not feel so rushed to find a solution to my problem, usually now a solution pops itself up or I forget about what it was I was worried about.  Plainly put, having patience and living in the present for me is very rewarding and much happier than I have been in the past.

If you are interested in the above you can also search for Mindfulness and see what comes up.  I managed to get a short course here

-----------------

My to do list from yesterday is done! I cooked a fresh spinach and garlic pesto (I added 5 garlic cloves!) which I had with a lovely juicy organic salad, wholewheat pasta,  and a chilli and lemon dressing for the salad which was different to what I would usually have, and tasty.

I started reading another book: How To Be Free by Tom Hodgkinson, a very inspiring book which I can't wait to read today.  I put my clothes away and made the bed; this needs doing again today. And I also managed to make some changes to my blog so that mobile readers have better access and layout for easier reading.

To do today (considering it is Sunday)

  • Make apple pie.
  • Have a healthy home made dinner.
  • Tidy my room.
  • Read.
  • Do something creative.
  • Read and reply to some emails.
  • Check my diary for next week.
I'm just about to head up to Soho to go to the art shop, so maybe I will buy a sneaky something to be creative with!

No comments: