Sunday, 11 September 2011

(Not) Gloomy Sunday

Thought for today:

I don't always get to know why things happen.

I may spend hours, even days, trying to figure out why bad things have happened to me. I may get caught up in trying to understand other people, situations, and even my own thoughts.

Today I will accept that I don't have to know why things are the way they are. Instead I can pay attention to healing, growing, and learning.

from Hazeldon

-------------

I think "why did they do that" a lot when I am cycling, when I get cut up or whatever....for me personally I think it is a response in anger to be able to start a argument with them or probably myself  with them in my head!!

Now I will try to remember to not get caught up in wondering why, just accepting what happened and moving on.

-------------

I am yet to enroll in college, I have to do it on Monday before I start; however I have finally figured out my timetable, YAY!  Monday's I have sociology and photography (an additional evening course), Thursdays; study skills and prep for higher education and then english lit and psychology on Fridays.  This plan works out well for me and means I have Tuesday's and Wednesday's to study and have free time.

This morning I have been putting together the food plan for the coming week, and I came across this website (the story behind it is really nice, so if you have a chance, have a read); I am not a rigid vegetarian, but I am trying to keep meat consumption down as it is better for the environment (link to Wikipedia here).  I have so far come up with the below, mostly having leftovers for lunch the next day and lunch for Aaron which includes sandwiches, crisps, muesli bars, yoghurt and fruit. 

Monday
Veggie Lasagne.

Tuesday
Chickpea and butternut squash curry with brown rice.

Wednesday
Veggie shepherds pie and salad.

Thursday
Homemade pizzas (with meat as option).

Friday
Garlic vegetable wholewheat pasta.

Saturday
Vegetarian pad thai? - Not sure about this one.

Sunday
Free-range organic roast chicken and all the bits.

I buy Aaron's crisps and muesli bars from the pound shop, but now I am starting to wonder if it is actually ethical to buy from there or not?  They seem to be growing in popularity.  But I have a niggling feeling that they are probably not ethically based at all.  I have looked on their website and I am still not sure. They have a link to Junkk.com.  But does this show that the pound shop actually cares about the environmental and ethical impact it has?  Well is seems to have an OK social accountability policy, no slave or child labour etc, here is an interesting, if dated article about how the poundshop works, which brings me to the conclusion that it is mostly about mass consumption and can therefore not be good, and my decision can only be based on the individual brands in there....which I suppose means I shouldn't buy stuff from there. 

This website seems to be good, definetly interesting, so I suppose I can start here on particular brands.

Maybe I will have to look into making our own muesli bars and an alternative to crisps?

The washing has been done did, although there is always more, and I cooked a tasty jerk chicken dinner on Friday, today I am going to do some small chores around the house, bake bread and relax.
Maybe I will make some oatbars too.

A song I like which influenced the title of today's post:



No comments: