Saturday, 24 September 2011

Weekend

Thought for the day:

“Are you willing to spend time studying the issues, making yourself aware, and then conveying that information to family and friends? Will you resist the temptation to get a government handout for your community? Realize that the doctor's fight against socialized medicine is your fight. We can't socialize the doctors without socializing the patients. Recognize that government invasion of public power is eventually an assault upon your own business. If some among you fear taking a stand because you are afraid of reprisals from customers, clients, or even government, recognize that you are just feeding the crocodile hoping he'll eat you last. (October 27, 1964)

  Ronald Reagan quotes

 

-----------------

 

Interesting quote, even more so interesting for me now I have been studying sociology.  It's good to note that this quote was written in the 60's and still applies for today.  I think the same idea can apply to one friend in a group of friends, if no one is able to tell them what they really think, they are just feeding the monster, maybe the monsters youuuuuu (or me)!!

 

---------------- 

 

College is going well, I am trying to be a good student and plan out my study well so I can do my essays in draft, and do all my reading etc on time so I am not panicking at the last minute when three different subjects have essays due at the same time. 

 

We have started doing our personal statements, although I am still trying to choose a course or exact subject I enjoy, I think I like sociology and the development of society so I am going to go for subjects like human sciences, international development and history.  The other side of the spectrum is that I would like to do a arts degree in design and making or something like that, it's hard for me to narrow down a subject as there are so many things I like doing, baking, cooking, making, thrifting, trying to help others...I suppose I don't want to do a cooking qualification, and I am pretty sure there isn't a degree in being thrifty, unless it's called making and economics or something and I suppose helping others will come under being able to understand society and people, so psychology, sociology and general interaction with the environment around them and how to live sustainably, so I am going to try to apply for courses along these lines. Oh yes and of course I enjoy reading and writing so I could do English.


I have two different to do lists now; study and home, no doubt I will come up with another one for crafts or something.

 

Today I am going to re-do my timetable so it is better planned, including places and what type of study I will be doing (reading or writing or researching online etc) and try and leave it with spaces in so that every Sunday and morning before I start studying I can fill it in around my certain study needs for that day.   


I will also write an essay plan for sociology and read a the chapter on crime and deviance. 


I'm not going to put my to-do list on here today, but tomorrow night when I have planned out this week etc.

 

This Monday I start my short digital photography course, which is at the same college, but I have 3 hours in between my sociology and photography course so I can get some good study time in! I am really looking forward to learning how to use my camera effectively.  


A song I like (it sounds much better off the album):




An interesting documentary on consumerism and dictatorships:


http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/surplus-terrorized-into-being-consumers/


No comments: