Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Commuunn; In conflict, be fair and generous.


In dwelling, live close to the ground. In thinking, keep to the simple. In conflict, be fair and generous. In governing, don't try to control. In work, do what you enjoy. In family life, be completely present.
 
- Lao Tzu 

------------

College was enjoyable yesterday, but I keep on getting an achy back and shoulders from everything that I carry around - and guess what, yesterday I packed two folders for classes I didn't have!  So I need to do something about that today.  I think that essentially I need to take in a ruler, two pens a pencil (with rubber top) which makes my pencil case lighter, and then for each unit for each subject, just take in the unit notes and notes from the books in a smaller file, thus saving on weight in my bag, and damage to my back...I think yoga will also help with that.

I also need to get some second hand books for college, oh yes, and I need to get all my draft essays done for Thursday!  I have good ideas and basing in most of the essays now so I am a lot more comfortable with the idea of finishing them.

Now as I am interested in sustainability and fashion I would like to know more about sustainable fashion, when searching this morning I came across Commuunn.  I really like the designs along with the idea behind the company, they seem to be focused on having a environmentally friendly and sustainable brand that is not a "gimmick". Cool.















Although, similar in ideals to Vivienne Westwood the collections are also pretty pricey!  There are some of the designs for sale here.  

OK, I'm not against good quality clothing being sold for a higher price especially when it takes into consideration the things I am passionate about; however how is the average Joe (like me) meant to be able to be passionate about sustainable practises if the prices aren't a tad reasonable?

I suppose the point to remember is that I don't need new clothes all the time and the bad points of buying clothes that are mass produced and done so with a large amount of pesticides that actually do poison and kill people, as reported further here and here.

The problem for me is that sometimes I still get caught up in the idea that buying new clothes will make me happy, and sometimes I will impulse buy and initially enjoy the clothes (such as recently with All Saints) but then feel guilty.  

In the future I would prefer to only buy new clothes when I REALLY need them (although that can also be questioned, do I really NEED something unless I have nothing else?) and try to buy from charity shops and make some of my own clothes or re-fashion them into something I want to wear.....it's an idealistic view, but satisfies both my worries about consumerism and the environment.  Also it could keep my space de-cluttered and help me to be a little more creative. Which brings me to another thing to put on my general(i.e. not urgent)to do list:

  • Clear out clothes (should I try to live with 100 items or less?)
  • Find a boot fair and someone with a car to help me. 
  • Organise patterns and fabric that I recently found in the cellar.
  • Get sewing.



 






 

No comments: