Tuesday, 15 November 2011

Thanks giving: Mary Blair.

Let us rise up and be thankful; for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.

Buddha

Whoa, I had a long day yesterday, my first class was at 9.30 and I left college at 18.30!! I was extremely tired, and was meant to do some school work when I got home, however I thought that something relaxing would be better for me. 

Last month I posted about the Illustration Cupboard. And since then I have been looking at different art work, including Mary Blair, who did illustrations for Disney in the 40's and 50's, with very bold colours and strong style (Google also did a 100 year anniversary for her).  

I loved the artwork so much, I started doing copies last night to get my creativity flowing. It really did melt my stress and tiredness away.  Examples of her work can be seen below.  I love them all....I can't choose a favourite!!



















I also googled Mary Blair and found some animations based on her artwork, which I think are really cool.  Hopefully in the summer I will get some time to do some animations too.





Mary Blair - Muffin Man animation from Smaro Papaevangelou on Vimeo.


I also found a great website that has all sorts of 50s cartoon and illustrations: Cartoon Modern

Apart from that, not much went on yesterday.  I had my first philosophy lesson, we are starting to learn about ethics and will be focusing on Immanuel Kant (1724 - 1804) and Utilitarianism. Both seem interesting and I actually listened to a Oxford pod cast on philosophy in politics and ethics recently, which can be found here

That's it...off to do some yoga before I start anything else today.   

No comments: