Thursday, 12 January 2012

Compassion: Iceland

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
 
- Dalai Lama

Yesterday I got completely sucked up by unhappiness, despair and fear.  To cut a long story short I got the idea into my head that I was never going to be able to get a part time job to support myself whilst I study, and then of course I thought I wasn't going to get top grades on my course that I need which eventually turned into - I might as well give up and stop trying.  My thoughts where along the lines of "might as well give up now, as it's never going to work out, capitalism has ruined the world.."

I think was I feeling too sorry for myself, projecting to much into the future, comparing myself to others and only picking out my bad qualities. Whenever I practise meditation it is in order to help me create awareness of my thoughts - both positive and negative.  By being aware of my thoughts I am able to try and change or not attach myself to my thoughts. 

This morning, I feel much better and am doing a short meditation to help set up the day with the right start.   

Here is a really cool video about a girl who hiked through Iceland solo - it is beautiful.

MADE IN ICELAND from Klara Harden on Vimeo.




No comments: