Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Nearly the end of my course!

“Always remember to slow down in life; live, breathe, and learn; take a look around you whenever you have time and never forget everything and every person that has the least place within your heart.”


Unknown

WOW!!! I haven't posted in so long...all for good reasons though, mainly as I was trying to get along at college and finish my course.  The official date to hand everything in is this Friday - I still haven't finished every thing but feel a lot more confident that I will get my work finished on time now.

I have all the distinctions I need to get into SOAS & Kings to do a joint degree in Development Studies & Geography  - you can see more information about development studies here if you're interested.  The course looks super interesting and really appeals to me, so hopefully I will enjoy it.  I am currently looking for work or internships within the charity sector, particularly in international development - so if you have any tips or ideas then please drop me a line. 

There are a couple other things that I have been concentrating on - including my new engagement to Aaron...YAY!  We are getting married in September and I have been busy pinning ideas for dresses, the day, food, design etc on pinterest (which I now LOVE) - my profile is here.  There are both positive and negative sides to getting married - sometimes I can not stop thinking about what needs doing and I obsess about the day instead of getting my work done....BUT the positive side is the idea makes me SO happy and I am enjoying the planning part!!

Aaron and I have also been spending a lot of quality time together, whilst we have the chance (i.e. before I have Uni and a possible part-time job or internship and lots of other responsibilities).  I always felt although we were backwards not having bought a house yet or because we were still living at my mums.  But it really makes sense for us now - financially and spiritually.  We can pay my mum a low rent, she doesn't have to have lodgers she doesn't know and we can live comfortably and save money here too (and keep an eye on mum, who is not getting any younger).  Also, as we are trying to not get too caught up in materialistic living, it helps to not have a house yet, as it seems this is a 'must have' item even if you end up having a massive mortgage and are miserable in a job you don't like.  We have chosen to go down the slow route, try to take one day at a time and enjoy our lives instead of rushing through trying to impress every one and every thing as we go (which I feel is how we were living before).  Don't get me wrong we had a great time partying and spending money like it was burning a hole in our pockets, but, we were just rambling our way through - not truly enjoying life.  

It has been just over a year since I got back from traveling.  It doesn't feel although I have been back for that long, and makes me feel although I want to go back to Panama to trek in the jungle and enjoy the sunny beaches (and see the frogs)....maybe next year (or after my degree!). We are going to Cornwall in the summer, but it doesn't really have the same wildlife and weather as Panama...although it will do.  Oh, and our honeymoon will probably be in Los Angeles....YAY!!

I have to say I am the happiest and strongest I have been in a very long time, I think this is due to a combination of working towards a goal of mine - going to Uni, trying to live a lower impact life (including vegetarian meals, shopping at the farmers market, buying less plastic bottles etc) and really having improved my attitude and approach to situations through mindful thinking and meditation, along with a massive change in Aaron which has strengthened our love and support for each other no end.

Did I mention I have been going to counseling...I think this had really helped me too.  

Time to go, distinctions to be earned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound so happy and definitely on the right path. Looking forward to September. xxx

Katie M R Pitts said...

Thanks ANON! ;)