Saturday, 16 June 2012

Sat errrr day: recipe day.

If it's what you do and you can do it, then you do it.
 
Van Morrison

But can I really do it?  Procrastination has set in - I am avoiding all school work...or should day WAS last night, as I needed a nap, a very long nap which turned in to sleeping all night.
 
In order to stop myself from procrastinating I need to find out why I am putting off doing the essays.  OK, psychology - I don't want to do it because I think I can't do it and I don't want to hand it in to just get a pass. Anthropology - also, I know I haven't done enough research do this unit and Sociology, so I am avoiding actually facing the amount of reading I need to do.  
 
However, the bottom line is, if I don't finish the course I can't go to Uni - my ultimate goal of having attended the course. So, I am going to tell myself that getting passes in all of these essays in FINE.  They are the last ones and because of my procrastination will have to be done in a rush.  According to the life hack article - here. I should; 1. write a list 2. motivate myself and 3. reward myself 4. be accountable (I am posting this on the blog!) 5. do it for 3 minutes 6. embrace change.
 
List: 
  • Write nature vs. nurture 800 word essay.
  • Edit all 3 Psychology short essays.
  • Look at info given out in Sociology and my essay plan and work out which stuff I have to read.
  • Look at the assignment title for anthropology, write a rough essay plan and reading plan.
  • Do the reading for soc.
  • Do the reading for anthro.
  • Write drafts for both assignments.
  • Edit both assignments.
  • HAND IN ALL WORK.
 
Sounds easy, right.  WRONG! Not if I still procrastinate due to fear.  As I was writing the list out I was feeling like, oh man, I'm not going to be able to do it, and then I'll fail the course and I won't get into SOAS or my backup choice and it's all going to be terrible, a waste of time and my family will be angry at me and my friends will tell me I am stupid and wasting my life. ERRRRKK>>>STOP!!!!
 
I think that's my worst case scenario there!  Best case scenario - I get the psychology essay done today (800 words shouldn't take too long). And try to do the reading for anthro/sociology today - then review and see how I am getting on tomorrow.  Eventually I will hand all my marked work in on Wednesday afternoon (even if they are just a pass).

I AM OK WITH PASSES.  IT IS MORE IMPORTANT TO GET THE WORK HANDED IN AND THE COURSE COMPLETED THEN TO TRY AND GET HIGH MARKS AT THE LAST MINUTE!!

Oh, and now my reward(s).  When I finish my work today I get to do something creative like sewing or learn to do my first crochet or maybe some tie dye...and Thursday I get to go to the 5 Rhythms Dance Class

I think the dance class and crochet motivates me the most.
 
This is being accountable - isn't it? Posting my plan on a blog?  I am going to try it for 3 minutes right after I post this.  AND I am really looking forward to going to university and I have the whole summer to get used to the idea of that lifestyle change, so I just need to finish the course.

OK - so there is the recipe for helping to stop procrastination.

Next week I will do an actual food recipe.

 

No comments: